When you delve into personal development, most of the time the focus is on change.
What do you want that you don’t have? What is not going well? Where are you less than satisfied?
There are so many things that I want to work on. I want to grow my passive income streams. I want to do/make epic things. I want my own place. I want more energy. More freedom. More calm. More close friends. More openness. More courage. More focus. More self-control.
But when I focus on what I haven’t done… well, frankly, it starts to feel like I’m on a treadmill. There will always be more things to do, higher levels to achieve, more add-ons and expansion packs. On one hand, this is exciting (I love progress!), but sometimes it wears me out. Thinking “I’ll be happy when…” is a slippery slope.
The “Things Not Done” category will always have way more stuff in it that the “Things Done” category. This is the nature of life.
Always come back to what is already going well. Focus at least 50% of the time on all of the awesome things that you’ve already created. Not just for your own sanity, but because it’s easier to keep on leveling up when you feel good about yourself. And you SHOULD feel good about yourself. Look at you! You’ve done so much! There are people out there who would cut off their left thumb to have what you have.
Things I’ve Already Accomplished
- I became vegetarian and then vegan.
- I am at my ideal weight, I have no trouble maintaining it, and I have a healthy attitude towards food.
- I have exercised five times a week for a year, at the end of which I was able to jog for 40 minutes.
- I am a freelance designer and illustrator. I have clients all over the world, and I have a waiting list. I have more opportunities than I can accept.
- I have good control over my finances, I know exactly where my money goes, and I even save. I am paying my own way through university.
- I was accepted into my first choice university, where I am maintaining a 4.1 GPA.
- I have a lovely, supportive boyfriend.
- I recognize that the point of life is to enjoy it.
What about you? What have you already accomplished in your life so far?
Really?! WOW! Congratulations!! I’m so proud of you. Why don’t you take a moment to bask in your greatness? :)